Our mission is to solve global problems by combining science-driven innovations and value-adding capital. For us, it is important that our impact on the world is overall positive and promoting sustainability. We follow a responsible investment strategy that includes investing guidelines and an ESG (Environmental, Social, Governance) strategy to assess the ESG performance of both our investments and ourselves.
How we integrate ESG strategy throughout our investing lifecycle
- A responsible approach: Voima Ventures is committed to investing in companies that are solving global environment-, healthcare-, equality-, clean energy-, water-, or food-related challenges.
- ESG criteria in the analysis of potential investments: ESG rating or overall impact considered in the investment memorandum, and ESG as key item in the company value creation framework.
- Exclusionary screening: investments prohibited in companies that are engaged in: the production of and trade in tobacco or distilled alcoholic beverages or related products; the financing of the production of and trade in weapons and ammunition of any kind; gambling (e.g. casinos and equivalent enterprises); human cloning; activities intented to create human embryos solely for the purpose of research or for the purpose of stem cell procurement, including by means of somatic cell nuclear transfer; or the research, development or technical applications relating to electronic data programs or solutions, which aim specifically to support any forementioned activity or pornography or which are intended to enable illegal entry into electronic data networks or to download electronic data.
- Supporting and training our portfolio companies to improve their ESG policies, and particularly supporting in HR and recruiting.
- Involvement of the Board of Directors on ESG matters, identification of key ESG opportunities and risks, and planning ESG strategy. Additionally, portfolio companies’ value creation is considered and measured from the ESG point of view.
- ESG survey once a year, and reporting the results to our stakeholders including LPs and portfolio companies.
- Addressing the ESG performance in exit documents when applicable
- Evaluation of the buyer and transaction for any issues
- ESG exit-survey when applicable
Our own ESG impact
Our operational activities have an indirect impact on the environment, e.g. from travelling, having an office and hosting events. We recognize the impact that we have, and we always aim to minimize it by comparing e.g. alternative modes of travel and remote working practices, preferring the options with a lighter toll on the environment. Most importantly, our investments have a profound and/or indirect impact on the environment. We evaluate the environmental impact from our investments as described above in our ESG integration. Ideally, we aim to have a net-positive impact via our investments.
We are committed as employers, investors, and as members of various ecosystems to have a positive social impact through our activities and investments. We give pro bono coaching and guidance to teams outside our portfolio or deal flow, we take part in public discussions, and we aim to have a positive holistic impact through our investments.
In order to have a positive social impact, we must also address the possibility of mistakes; our social outreach having a negative impact in the community. We make sure that our actions do not harm anyone who works with us directly or indirectly, or who are our stakeholders of any sort. See more in our Code of Conduct which describes the guidelines of how we work and expect our stakeholders to work with us.
We follow various guidelines for good governance of portfolio companies and we strive for transparency and openness. In addition to our own governance, we give guidance to our portfolio companies’ management and we participate in their corporate governance planning process working directly through our work at the Board of Directors.